Six Sigma Yellow Belt: What You Need to Know
Six Sigma Yellow Belt is one of the levels of Six Sigma methodology. Before we proceed to discussing Six Sigma Yellow Belt, let's take a look at Six Sigma methodology and approach.
To understand how Six Sigma Yellow belt falls into the entire Six Sigma picture, you need to understand what Six Sigma is about. Sigma is a Greek letter which is now commonly used to denote variation from a standard. Therefore, Six Sigma methodology is built around identifying and measuring defects in a process, and then systematically eliminating them.
Six Sigma strategy was originally developed by Motorola in 1980s, but it was fully implemented by General Electric almost a decade later. Today, Six Sigma is highly popular with companies from different industries, however, its primary focus remains in manufacturing.
Six Sigma Landscape has the following levels. Just like in karate, they are called belts. Here's what every Six Sigma belt does:
- Black Belt: Leads problem-solving projects. Trains and coaches project teams.
- Green Belt: Helps with data collection and analysis for Black Belt projects. Leads Green Belt projects or teams.
- Master Black Belt: Coaches other belts and team members. Functions more at the Six Sigma program level by developing key metrics and the strategic direction. Acts as an organization's Six Sigma technologist and internal consultant.
- Yellow Belt: Participates as a project team member. Reviews process improvements that support the project.
- White Belt: Can work on local problem-solving teams that support overall projects, but may not be part of a Six Sigma project team. Understands basic Six Sigma concepts from an awareness perspective.
As you can see from the above, Six Sigma Yellow Belt is an intermediate Six Sigma credential.
The Six Sigma Yellow Belt Certification is aimed at those new to the world of Six Sigma who have a small role, interest, or need to develop foundational knowledge. Yellow belts can be entry level employees that seek to improve their world or executive champions who require an overview of Six Sigma and DMAIC. Six Sigma Yellow Belt Certification adopts the approach of advancing the concept and potential of using Six Sigma tools and methodologies within an organization.
Explore this website to learn more about Six Sigma methodology, toolkit and Six Sigma levels, including Six Sigma Yellow Belt Certification.